Sunday, November 13, 2011

Good Old Days

Oh man, how I miss the good old days sometimes.

When "fall back" actually meant an extra hour of sleep.

When a night out with friends didn't require more pre-planning than a phone call and usually ended closer to sun-up than sun-down.

When taking a "nap" with my husband on a Sunday afternoon didn't require closing the door, locking it, covering the keyhole with a towel in case anyone got curious about what we were doing in there.

When Saturday mornings meant garage sale shopping with my best friend instead of soccer, judo, gymnastics and the Home Depot craft of the month.

When I drove a compact car.

When no one talked to me during Wheel of Fortune.

When getting sick meant lying on the couch and resting.

When I could have a phone conversation longer than 43 seconds without being interrupted.

When I could eat a whole meal without getting out of my chair.

When making a pot of chili meant we'd have leftovers to eat for lunch the whole week.

When the DVR (OK, then it was a VCR) wasn't full of Power Rangers, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien.

When a roll of toilet paper lasted more than one day.

When I could clean the house and it would stay clean for a couple of weeks instead of a couple of minutes.

When sneezing didn't mean changing my panties.

When there were only three loads of laundry to do each week.

When white carpet seemed like a good idea.

But then this tiny little girl with big brown eyes wraps her arms around my waist and says, "I wub you, Mommy." And a little boy smiles at me and says, "We have 23 minutes left to snuggle before bedtime, Mommy." And a bigger boy says, "Mom, I'm so glad you got to come on my field trip today. It was nice to have you there." And I forget all about the old days.

Until someone yells from the bathroom, "MOOOOOOOOM, I need HEEEEEEELP!"

No comments:

Post a Comment