Tuesday, October 18, 2011

So Blessed

Some days I love my life more than others. Just like everyone else, I suppose. Today, I love it extra. It was delightful. Wonderful. Blessed. Especially good. 

Nothing exceptional happened really. I got up and got the boys off to school. I usually work out on Tuesdays, which is nice because I know it's good for me, and I have a workout buddy I really enjoy chatting with. However, I knew she wouldn't be there today so I skipped my workout, and after dropping the boys off, crawled back in bed and snuggled with my hubby for a while. Delightful.

After he went to work, the little kids and I made cake pops. It was messy. It was fun. It was super yummy. It reminded me why I love being a mom and why I love having time to spend with them doing everyday things every day. I don't think I believe in quality time. The times with my kids that end up being important aren't usually the ones I planned to be important. They don't tell me secrets, say funny and insightful things, and reveal their wonderfulness because I planned an activity. Usually, I'm just lucky enough to be there when they decide to say it, show it or reveal it. I'm get lucky more often because I am there more often. Making cake pops today reminded me how lucky I am to be able to be there more often. Wonderful.

I worked at my "job" some today. I consider my real job being a mom, but I also contribute to our household income as a consultant for Mary Kay. I also don't like to call it a "job" because I don't think that does it justice. I love what I do. I love that I can work it into the nooks and crannies of my life, that I get to play makeup and hang out with fun women. But today, the one thing I am so, so thankful for is the opportunity to be around people who inspire me and make me a better person for being in their space.

My friend Liz picked up a brand new pink Cadillac today. I don't know what number this is--14 maybe? Doesn't matter. Actually, the Cadillac doesn't really matter either. Don't get me wrong--a pink Cadillac is a big deal. It takes a lot of work, dedication, skill and commitment. And it's darn beautiful. It's the second most recognizable company symbol in the country, second only to the Coca-Cola logo. Yep, big deal.

But more important than all of that, more important than our company's list of requirements you have to meet to get one, I know what it really takes. It takes being a woman of your word, doing what you say you are going to do, so that the women you work for and with believe in you. It takes being a woman of inspiration, lifting others up with your words and your spirit and your energy. It takes dedication and commitment, to do the work you know you need to do when no one but you is looking or holding you accountable. It takes the ability to breath belief into people, that they can dream a dream bigger than they imagined possible and actually make it happen. It takes being classy, ladylike, ethical, honest, stylish, polite, positive, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. All the time. I get to hang out with these women all the time, just because I do this job. So blessed.

So blessed....because you know what happens when you hang out with people a lot? You start to be more like them. I know I can't claim that list. Yet. But I know that each time I get to be in the presence of these amazing women, I am becoming a little more and a little more like them. And even if I never get to pick up my very own pink Cadillac from the dealer, sign my name and walk out with the keys, the pay from this work is more valuable than I could have hoped for.

This work, this day, this life....especially good. So very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment