Sunday, October 2, 2011

The week's menu in review

So here's how this week's menu turned out:

Monday: Spice roast chicken with vegetables. The chicken was ok. The vegetables were phenomenal. I think next time I will stick to my tried and true roast chicken recipe (Yes, I am going to keep you in suspense. For now.) but make the vegetables this way. Basically, carrots and potatoes cut into sticks, wedges of onion, salt, pepper and olive oil, all roasted at about 400 degrees. Not rocket science but delish.

Tuesday: Crock pot Mongolian beef, braised baby bok choy, and rice. Again, the vegetables were my favoite part of the meal. Not so much for the children.

Wednesday: And here is where the plan starts to fall apart. I had a pretty busy day scheduled already with deliveries, phone calls, carpool, errands, babysitting for a friend, and an evening business appointment, with just enough time in between to brown some beef for nachos. Until the school called to say come and get the 3rd grader. Who needed a last minute doctor visit. I ended up throwing some chicken nuggets in the oven moments before the babysitter arrived and telling her to find some applesauce in the fridge to go alongside.

Thursday: Nachos. Since we ate most of the leftover chicken for lunches, instead of the quesadillas I had planned, I made a simple corn spoon bread. Yum.

Friday: White cheddar mac-n-cheese. No fried green tomatoes. I gave everyone some fruit of their choice instead.

Saturday: We decided to invite friends over for game night so I had to come up with something that would fit the tastes of all involved, not stress me out by being too complicated and still fit the budget. Riiiiiight. I finally decided on Mexican Lasagna which turned out to be a huge hit. We had chips and salsa, veggies and dip and various toppings for the lasagna on the side. And a friend brought amazing pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.

Sunday: Tonight I made the Spanish Tortilla with Salami. It was a hit on all accounts--super easy to make, very inexpensive, and tasty according to all. Yes, even the cranky 8-year-old.

French bread pizza got cut from this week's line-up. Maybe next time, pizza.

Next week, I'm thinking of Asian lettuce wraps, taco pizza, submarine sandwiches with oven sweet potato fries, some kind of soup, homemade chicken nuggets (for the kids) and fried chicken salad (for the adults). The official plan will have to wait until I've had a chance to browse the Sunday ads and see what's on sale. I am sure the recipes await the honor of my selction with bated breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment