Sunday, October 16, 2011

This week's menu is review 10/16

Oh, wait a minute! I didn't have a menu last week. Actually, I kinda sorta did; I just didn't post it because I never finalized it. I didn't really know what I was going to do the next day until I did it. So, I'll just give you a little update on what I did. 

Meal #1 Monday:  I had a big family pack of chicken so I browned two big breasts to use in a casserole for Tuesday and used the other three to make homemade chicken nuggets.  The kids visited their grandparents for a few days over the summer, and Ankong (Filipino for grandpa) made chicken nuggets from scratch that where "better than McDonald's!" At least, that's what I heard. My oldest child even made him write down the recipe so I could make them.  They were quite tasty.  I will share the recipe with you sometime soon. Promise.

Meal #2 Tuesday: Cheesy chicken, rice and green bean casserole.  Another recipe I will share soon.

Meal #3 Wednesday: Uhhhh, I can't remember. Sorry, these things happen when you are 30-something and have three kids and way too many things on her to-do list and went to a wine tasting party last night.  Just saying.

Meal #4 Thursday: Cheese coneys.  Someday soon I will make a giant vat of Cincinnati chili and freeze it in individual meal-size containers.  But I haven't done this yet. So instead, I opened a can, grated some cheese, and enjoyed. Immensely. 

Meal #5 Friday: Pizza night!!! We ordered out.  I like pizza way, way more when I haven't had it every single Friday for months. 

Meal #6 Saturday: At the last minute, I got invited to a party. Not only was I invited, but hubby said he's happily watch the kids so I could go on my own.  Not only did he offer, but I accepted and went.  All of these things happening at one time is darn near a miracle.  Anyway, that meant dinner was on the fly. I threw a box of fish sticks at my husband, said "there are carrot sticks in the fridge," and hightailed it outta here.

Meal #7 Sunday: Mostly, we had leftovers. I also made this:

Pinned Image

From here: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/heathers-quinoa-recipe.html

You see, my good friend Jen, a fellow semi-health nut like me, brought over some leftovers to share for lunch one day this week.  We do this a lot.  When we want to have lunch together but don't want to go out, we both rummage in our refrigerators for leftovers to share, hummus, a chunk of cheese, whatever else we can find.  This week she brought over some quinoa fried rice.  It was delicious.  I had been holding out, refusing to jump on the whole quinoa bandwagon because if seemed a little too trendy for me. But since I tried the amazing quinoa fried rice, I wanted to try it out for myself.

I must say, this was not as fabulous as Jen's fried rice, but it was good. (This may just have been a result of being a quinoa virgin.) Even two of the three children had a few bites. Only the picky one spit it out and refused to have more. I'd call that a success. And the roasted cherry tomatoes on top--to die for. I will probably end up making them as a side dish all on their own in the future. A. Maze. Ing. Really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment